Conejos Colorado Vacation
Conejos River Colorado Vacation, Colorado Fly Fishing, and Colorado Vacations
If you're looking for a bit of the REAL west, Conejos County Colorado has it. If you're looking for resorts, high traffic, upscale shopping and lots of people, then we'll have to point you somewhere else. Conejos County is one of the last authentic frontiers of Colorado, offering a few small towns full of friendly locals, vast expanses of range land and forests, lots of mountains, adventure to suit your interests, more water than you could fish in a summer, incredible scenic vistas, plentiful wildlife, rich cultural heritage, and a healthy dose of solitude when that's what you're looking for.
Conejos County Colorado is a land of contrasts. It is located in the great San Luis Valley, a broad high mountain desert valley, in South Central Colorado where the average elevation is 7700 feet. Conejos County is situated in the southern part of the valley with the Rio Grande National Forest to the west and the Rio Grande (River) to the east. New Mexico boarders our southern boundary and to the north, Alamosa and Rio Grande counties offer urban activities. The eastern part of the county is an open expanse of valley floor peppered with both farmlands and high desert terrain. The western part of the county is a gradual progression from rolling hills (mogotes) to towering mountains that reach altitudes of 13,000 feet. Only about 34% of Conejos County is privately owned and the other 66% is public land overseen by the National Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management (BLM) and Colorado State lands.
If you're looking for a few fun excursions, we've got them. Or, if you're looking just to sit by a river and watch the world pass by, we've got that too. Conejos County is proud of what it has to offer. And we invite you to come and share it with us. Blue skies, moving water, mountain forests, open plains and slow winding canyon roads have designed this county as a refresher course for the soul.
There are no "big box" stores, nor restaurant chains here. This is NOT "anywhere" America. Our unique authenticity means you'll eat local, sleep local and get to meet those who call this paradise home. But if you want fast food or a little retail therapy, Alamosa is but a short drive north and Taos, NM is a comfortable drive south.
This is a place we call home. And we invite you to come and refresh yourself in our backyard. There's enough beauty to go around. As we say in Colorado, We'll treat you like neighbors if you'll treat us like home.